SC - RE: Antipodean Christmas - OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 08:05:31 PST 1999

	Glenda wrote:
	(There's a thought - bet you don't know what Aussies eat on
Christmas Day - seeing as how it's
	usually approaching 100F).

I grew up in New Zealand, and my dad always cooked a full 'traditional'
English Xmas dinner (served at 1pm) - first course; consumme with sherry,
followed by an entree of some sort. Main course of cold ham, hot turkey &
gravy, cranberry sauce (imported of course! no cranberries in NZ), peas and
roast vegetables. This followed by Christmas pudding (with sixpences) with
torched brandy sauce (my dad's speciality) and whipped cream, then by a
cheese board, fruit, coffee, mints and christmas cake by anyone with an
ounce of stomach space to spare (usually no-one did!). The only native
feature was the roast kumera (type of NZ sweet potatoe), and the only
element that ever varied was the entree (starter for you Americans!), which
had to be something new and interesting each year. I knew when my dad
finally thought I could cook (when I was about 26) because he actually
allowed me to take over that section of the meal! All this in an average
heat of 80 - 95 F and humid with it. Most years we held it outside under the
gazebo.

Then on Boxing Day (the next day - is that celebrated in the US?) Mum always
made a traditional trifle the night before (sherry soaked sponge under
fruitsalad and topped with custard) and we started eating the leftovers...

This year my sisters and I will actually be spending it together (one lives
in Holland, the other in Dallas) so I get to play chef. I was thinking of
blinis and caviar as an entree. Anyone have a good recipe for them? (the
blinis that is!)

Oh, and for Christmas this year, I want I want I want that ridiculously
overpriced (?28/$60 - eek!) egg-whisking copper bowl so I can make
zabaglione the traditional way...

Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536