SC - Dressing/stuffing

upsxdls at okstate.edu upsxdls at okstate.edu
Thu Dec 2 06:37:51 PST 1999

I agree with the consensus.  Stuffing is in the bird, dressing is cooked on
the side.  This brought back a great memory for me.  I remember my mom
getting up at an ungodly hour on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning to start
THE TURKEY.  As a child, the turkeys seemed to have suffered some hormonal
problem they were so huge.  Picture this:  A huge blue-speckled enamel
canner filled with a turkey that barely fit and stuffing up to the brim.
We never had one of those beautifully browned presentation turkeys, but the
meat was wonderfully tender and juicy, and the stuffing was to die for.
IIRC, she started the turkey breast down, and we wrestled it mid-morning
into it's proper breast upright position.  Oh, and mom NEVER used gooey
white store-bought bread to make her stuffing.  It was homemade, buttery
and absolutely delicious.  OK, I've gained 5 pounds just thinking about it!
The leftovers got better with each passing day.  I'd like to kick the
caring person who informed mom she shouldn't cook the turkey and dressing
together!  Leanna

PS.  Papa, I knew what you'd think when I said I wanted a Christmas Goose!
I wasn't talking about roasted fowl!  Leanna the Available