SC - Thanksgiving

April Abbott orlando at rogues.net
Thu Dec 2 14:21:40 PST 1999

    Hmmm.... working from memory here, as I just sort of made it up on the
spot.....
    A largish handful of golden raisins, and a smallish handful of dried
rosepetals.  The cardamom, ginger and cinnamon were already sitting on the
counter, as they were the spices I used in my cranberry sauce.  I imagine
other spices would be good as well.  I think I used equal amounts of
cardamom and ginger, and just a dash of cinnamon.  I mixed these in a bowl
with a bit of rosewater, and then stuffed the bird with the mixture.  I
massaged the outside of the bird with butter, and then put in in the oven to
roast.  Partway through the roasting, I feared the bird might be too dry, so
I poured apple juice over it.  I think white wine might have been better,
but my dinner guests that day are not fond of the flavor of wine.  Roasted
until done, basting from time to time.
    I'm going to try making it again when I visit my boyfriend this weekend.
After the French toast he made for me last time I visited (hazelnut bread,
rosewater and cinnamon added to the egg mixture,  a cup of real maple syrup
with a bit of rosewater added to it which he dipped each bite into before
feeding it to me....), I owe him a good meal in return. :)

- -Sofonisba