SC - GLAZED LEG OF LAMB

håkan hedrén h940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Thu Dec 2 15:47:39 PST 1999

first of all the name's Angus, not Brokk but it's ok...
Angus is my SCA persona and Brokk is what I chose to use instead of
h940114 in my email addy (it's the account # at the uni) no offense
taken though, both are alter egos as far as I'm concerned.
My IRL name is Håkan (scandinavan name meaning 'of noble lineage' but
many mail servers can't display it properly.

On to the recipe:
I had a closer look at the recipe and it said "a pinch of saffron"...
I have not seen the original in pleyn delit though...but personally I
feel that this would give some sweetnes as well, not just be used for
coloring, probably to balance the acidity of the verjuice.
On the top of my head I'd say a pinch of sugar or half a teaspoon of
honey to give the same sweetness and some coloring agent for the color,
possibly turmeric.
I haven't actually tried the recipe yet (too busy brewing xmas beers
left and right)
but IIRC from making roast beefs a 150 F temp with the oven at 450 F
would give a
gray edge with a red center, but a caveat on this though.  My memory
isn't what it used to be, and I like my roast to
go MOOOO!, BAAAH or whatever when you jab the fork into them.  I suggest
you check with a mundane cookbook and use an oven thermometer
if you want a good control of it.

Angus MacIomhair  aka Håkan