SC - Rose Petal Turkish Delight (OOP?)

Debra Poole dpoole1 at airmail.net
Mon Dec 6 20:09:59 PST 1999

Since I had the cook book out to post the rose petal cake I thought I would
finally send the question that I had for you all.  I have a rose water
turkish delight recipe that says in the very modern and OOP cook book that
in Ancient Greece turkish delight was know as Loukoumi.   Anyone have any
idea if this is true?  Anyone have documention for anything similar to
Turkish Delight?

This makes great 12th night gifts!
Mere

Rose Petal Turkish Delight

1 1/4 cup water
5 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup lightly cup up rose petals
2 Tablespoons rose water
pink food coloring
confectioners sugar

Line a square cake pan with foil.  Dissolve the gelatin in the water over
low heat in a heavy saucepan.  Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves.
Increase the heat and bring to a boil.  Allow to boil for 10 min.  The
syrup should be clear.  Remove from the heat add the rose petals, the food
coloring, and the rose water.  Stir gently.  Pour the mixture into the foil
lined pan.  Leave the candy to cool for 24 hours. Do not refrigerate.
Remove from the pan by lifting the foil.  Carefully peel the foil off the
candy.  Cut the candy into bite size squares, and lightly dust with
confectioners sugar.