SC - Viking Recipies

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Wed Dec 8 07:36:04 PST 1999

Adamantius sprach:
> "Oh, so it was murder!!!" [Waggles eyebrows, rolls eyes and taps
> ashes off cigar]

And how the elephant got in my pajamas, I'll never know.

> I believe there have been Danish finds of bog bodies whose
> stomach contents appeared to be a multi-grain bread that was
> deliberately burned?

Maybe it _was_ murder.  I've heard learn-ed observation/speculation
that some bog people didn't wind up there by accident.  While the
bog's a convenient place to ditch the body of the guy who owed you
money (uh, ah ... so I'm told), it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Some forensic evidence suggests that they were ritualistically and
deliberately killed, then pitched into the peat.  Some say this was
done as a sacrifice.  To whose god, I cannot say.  Crom, perhaps.

Now maybe (and here comes the wild speculation on my part) the grain
was burnt as part of the ceremony (as things often are) and fed to the
sacrificial "volunteer" who was then bound by the wrists, whacked on
the noggin and relegated to a squishy grave.

As the Temptations said it could be "Jus' my 'magination ... runnin'
away with me ..."  Alas, we'll never know.

"I come here for a party, and what happens?  Nothing.  Not even ice
cream. The gods look down and laugh." -- G. Marx
Iyad ibn Bisharo, Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN
jallen at multipro.com