SC - cookbooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 8 12:18:17 PST 1999

Pink Sunshine wrote:

> Since I'm from the France, in the 1500's, I thought it was high time that I
> learn some recipes from the region and time period. So, if anyone knows the
> name of a cookbook that I can pick up at the library, I would really
> appreciate it.

Hmmm...16th century...

you seem to have instinctively hit on something of a gap in the written
material, at least compared to the 15th and 17th centuries in France.

>From the fifteenth century we have Chiquart's (in this case _very_ early
15th) Du Fait de Cuisine, and then somewhat later there's the Vivendier,
which is, IIRC, a 16th-century ms. found in Germany but written in
French, which may or may not be a direct linear descendant of
Taillevent's Le Viandier. It has some very buff and kewl stuff in it,
and there's a fairly recent edition edited by Terence Scully. And
speaking of Scully, I believe Le Viandier might have had some textual
currency in the form of copies being made until at least the sixteenth
century, so one might argue it (or rather a linear descendant -- the
recipes seem to change a bit over time, either due to food
fashion/evolution or scribal changes) might have had a culinary
influence on some strata of 16th-century French society.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com