SC - Help with old recipe (OOP)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 9 09:16:33 PST 1999

Peldyn at aol.com wrote:

> In my Grandmother's papers is a recipe that she said was written in her
> mother's hand in the late 1800's. Since I have no experience with old recipes
> maybe some one here could help me? She also has recipes for a Never Fail
> Sponge Cake and a Peach Cobbler. Those are easier to understand. If anyone
> wants the recipe for those too I can post them.
>
> Gentleman's Favorite
> 7 eggs, whites and yolks beaten seperately; 2 cups sugar and 1/2 butter
> worked to a cream; 1 tablespoon of water, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 cups
> flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake in jelly tins.
> Jelly for same
> 1 egg, 1 cup sugar, 3 (I think) grated apples with out the peeelings, 1 lemon
> grated. stir till it thickens. Cool before using.
>
> What is this? How long should I cook it at what temp.? What is a jelly tin?
> What do I use the jelly for? I know this is probably obvious to some of you
> who have more experience.

I'd say this is a jelly roll...

A jelly tin is a sheet pan like a cookie sheet, but with sides. A
typical size for a home oven might be 12" by 16", perhaps 3/4 inch deep.
You butter the pan, line it with parchment paper, butter the paper, then
pour your batter in to generously cover the paper. I'd suggest
consulting a jelly roll recipe, but offhand I'd think 10-12 minutes at
around 375 degrees F would do it. The recipe looks like it might make
two such pans as I described, hence the plural "jelly tins".

Cool until it's cool enough to touch, but not too cold to be flexible
(or it'll crack when you roll it up). Cover with the filling, leaving
the short edges, the ends, with an inch or so of empty space so the
filling doesn't goosh all over the place. Roll up, using the paper to
help get a good grip and rolling the paper away as you go. Chill until
firm, dust with powdered sugar and slice.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com