SC - The great Christmas pudding experiment. And quinces! [Partial OOP]

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Dec 9 14:54:41 PST 1999

> If you don't have one, you need a new kitchen toy.  ;>  You need a cone-shaped
> strainer with the accompanying pointy wooden tool.  It acts like a mortar and
> pestle, except that the mortar is a mesh. (Or do I have that backwards?)  Best
> tool I have ever used for making fruit sauces.  They are expensive at the
> kitchen store, but you can sometimes find parts cheap at the flea market or
> secondhand stores.  I think the last time I priced a set new, it was 10-40 for
> the strainer depending on size, and 25-75 for the wooden tool.  (U.S. dollars)
> I picked up my wooden bit at the flea market for 2 dollars.

That is called a "china cap" and the forcer is indeed called a pestle
those prices looked kinda high, so I looked online...
several are here under 30 dollars:
 http://www.restaurant-store.com/restaurantsuperstore/foodprep.html

and get a pestle for 10.00 here:
 http://bridgekitchenware.com/cgi-bin/scodb.cgi/s=bridge&uid=11877&a=s&p=384

You can get the whole shebang for under 50 dollars, including shipping, if you look.

Frankly If I was puree'ing a lot of fruit, I'd go for the "Food Mill", like a Mouli...
about the same price and you can get several meshes:

 http://www.gardentokitchen.com/foodmill.htm
 http://bridgekitchenware.com/cgi-bin/scodb.cgi/s=bridge&uid=15421&a=s&p=469
 http://store.yahoo.com/gardensouth/066-69072.html

The China Cap makes a wonderful strainer for stocks and stuff, though
Depends on what you think you are going to do more of...
YMMV

brandu