SC - Re: .food riddle and query

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Dec 10 10:09:39 PST 1999

Bernadette Crumb wrote:
>My lady, if you are willing to take a day or so and have the
>space to do it, you can make your own powdered malt by sprouting
>wheat berries until the sprouts are about the same length as the
>berrie itself, spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 250 F
>oven until golden brown and crisp (about ten minutes IIRC).  Let
>cool completely and pulverize in a food processor or grind in a
>mortar and pestle.  Viola!  Malt powder...

Wheat kernels have no juicy pulp. They are not berries. Don't believe what
the marketers and advertisers call them; the advertising business is
notorious for its inaccurate and deceptive misuse of words. Nor are wheat
kernels a typical source of malt. Malt is usually made from barley.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon