SC - Fw: [TY] recipe question

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 13 13:33:05 PST 1999

>I am looking for a recipe, modern or period, that involves fermenting
>fruit.  The recipe I used to have had something to do with various types
>of canned fruit, that was added with sugar over several days.   When the
>fruit was used, more was to be dumped into the container.  If this sounds
>familiar, please send me your recipe.
>
>I also want to find out how far back this type of fruit compote dates.
>Are there any period references to fermenting fresh fruit in this way?
>
>Melandra of the Woods

I haven't found any solid period references, but a similar process is used
to make kvas in Russia.  Kvas is a beverage rather than something you would
eat with a spoon.  Curiously, the Russian <kompot> is a beverage made from
soaked and mashed fruits.  "Moscow kvas" may be similar to what is known as
<mors> in the "Domostroi" (16th cen Russian household book).  This recipe
is translated by Liudmila from the Slavic Interest Group and is from a
Russian cookbook, early 20th century.  It doesn't end up very alcoholic at all.

**************************************
Moskow kvas can be made out of pretty much any fruits and berries, such as
apples, raspberries, red currants, cherries, mountain ash berries (riabina),
strawberies, or pears.  Strawberries and raspberries require small wooden
barrels and a somewhat complicated procedure -- ask me later if you want.
The rest can be made in large glass jars. Fill out your jar completely with
fruit or berries (uncut, I think) and add cold boiled water to fill.  Place
the jar in a cold place and wait about three days, when you can drink it with
sugar added right in the glass if you want.  Apple and red currant kvas are
good with lemon rind in the jar.  Note that one jar lends lots of kvas sinse
you are supposed to refill it with cold boiled water as long as there is
flavor left.  It is essential that the berries and the fruit be absolutely
unblemished since any damage may result in fermentation.