SC - Re: My experiment (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 14 10:09:10 PST 1999

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> > I've been told by various Big Hats (i.e. executive chefs, generally
> > people who effectively have signed my paychecks) over the years that
> > this method is okay for garnishing purposes, especially if cut into a
> > chiffonade (more or less an extra-fine julienne), but that it doesn't
> > release as much of the citrus oil as grating does, and unless cooked a
> > lot, leaves a kinda crunchy, gritty mouth feel.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> I think I've finally figured out why I pretty much stay a lurker on here
> unless it's for list administration duties. Usually whenever I post something
> that works for me I find out how ignorant I really am. It's hard to maintain
> the illusion of a cooking god if I keep finding out everything I do is wrong.
> :-{)}
>
> I'll go back in hiding now.
>
> Gunthar

Now cut that out! ;  )

My post was to point out that this viewpoint exists, not necessarily to
support it. There are plenty of areas where many professional chefs and
I disagree: they think black pepper in a white sauce is ugly, I think
it's a garnish, they think I'm insane when I say the best destiny of a
packet of Shake-and-Bake is a very quick eggplant parmaggiano. And the
list goes on...

What I actually think about grating versus shredding versus zesting with
a special tool is that situations, needs, and solutions vary.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com