SC - Need venison advice!

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Dec 15 17:38:09 PST 1999

Definitely save those bones and use them for broth! The gamy taste which so
many people object to actually comes from the fat, and while I like it, it
is definitely an acquired taste. If you're not used to it, don't make a
stock without roasting the bones first- roasting helps render more of the
fat away, so the flavor in that direction isn't as strong, and you'll get
more of the browned flavor.

If you want to cook venison, remember it's a very lean meat, so you'll have
to add extra fat- pork is the most common. Larding or barding help a lot
with roasts- a ham hock or some fat back or bacon with soups and stews, and
if you grind some up for burger, add some mayonaisse to your burgers or
meatloaf- just add your normal ingredients, and the mayo to bring it up to
the normal texture you'd want for beef burgers or loaves.

Woodsy smelling spices are my favorites- I love adding juniper berriesa,
sage, pepper, rosemary, and like that, though as usual, garlic and hot
pepper always find a place.....

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

Johnson: Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men.
Boswell: Indeed, and where else will you find such horses, and such men?