SC - egg sizes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Dec 16 19:08:48 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/16/99 2:04:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< I think you are bringing too much of a 20th century factory farm mindset
into
 this. I really question whether they would have thought
 "Likewise, smaller hens who produce larger eggs take up less
  coop space and eat less feed, resulting in more compact and more efficient
  egg production and more profit." >>

Stephan,

Have you studied period animal husbandry and agriculture at all? The middle
ages was an AGRICULTURAL society. Ours is an industrial society. People in
the pre-industrial agricultural society were very much concerned with animal
size, feed production and all the other aspects of farming. It was their way
of life. Urban centers were very small and the vast majority of people were
directly involved in agriculture and it's support services. Not to be unkind
here but I find the thought of period people being backwards in the area of
agriculture not a little ludicrous.

So far as feeding chickens grain is concerned. That is not a modern practice.
Modern chickens are fed ground byproducts from meat production. Beef, pork
and chicken parts are a good portion of their diet.  Any grain used in a
modern chicken's feed is merely to balance the diet.

Ras