sca-cooks V1 #1808 - Re: SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

dhumberson at imailbox.com dhumberson at imailbox.com
Fri Dec 17 06:58:09 PST 1999

Anahita al-shazhiya wrote:
>thought i'd ask experienced feast planners what late fall/early
>winter vegetables you've served and people have actually eaten :-)

The top 'seller' for Rowan and I has always been a glazed baby carrot dish known here as 'Rowan's Carrots'.  It is very rich, using a pound of butter per pound of brown sugar per eight pounds of soft-steamed baby carrots, and is also a complete pain to make.

To glaze properly, boil equal parts butter and sugar in a flat pan with about a teaspoon of water.
Add whatever hot spices your guests will tolerate( we started with ginger, are now using a ginger/galingale mix with a hint of white pepper).
The boiling mix will foam, up to three inches or so, which indicates the mix is ready for the carrots.
Add 1/4 of the total carrots for this batch, stir until the mix foams again, then transfer those carrots to a holding pan and repeat for the other 3 lots.  Be careful to fully heat the glaze mix between lots, if it's not foaming vigorously the carrots will sog.
After the 4th lot, mix all carrots in holding pan( we use steam table pans), bring the remaining glaze to a boil one more time, and coat the carrots with the mix.  Cover the holding pan, maintain at 160 degrees, and hold until served.
Garnish with a mint sprig and slice of the ginger used to make the syrup( if the cooks have left any).
We serve 16-24 oz per table of 8, and rarely get any back.

Hope this helps,
Ragnar