SC - "Old Food"

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Dec 19 18:51:31 PST 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:44:06 -0600 Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
writes:
> Christianna commented:
> > Then there's the compost we made last November...
>
> I, for one, would be interested in hearing how well the compost
> has held up or tastes when you get around to trying it. The reports
> that I have in the Florilegium on composts have been from folks who
> ate it much sooner than this.
					Stephen

	Well, it has held up its original flavor pretty well.  I actually think
that it was not crisp enough at the beginning, but it certainly isn't
anything like mush now, just not what I'd want from pickles.  My lord has
been eating it right along, and feels that it is getting better as it
ages.  He is gone for one more week (I feel like I'm the only person in
the Nation waiting for Christmas Day to actually start Christmas) and I
will have him taste-test it when he gets home and give you a report.  I
have kept pickled vegetables (both home-made and commercial) for years,
in fact my roommate and I had the most intense pickle experience either
one of us has ever had, with a whole, Kosher Vlassic Dill with garlic.
It was slap-your-mama good, we both stood in the kitchen and made hooting
noises for about 5 minutes.  It was the last one left in the jar, and had
been sitting in the refrigerator for years.  It was just a shame that it
was the last one left.
	Christianna