SC - Re: Misc Stuff & Fondu - OOP

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Dec 22 20:02:49 PST 1999

Dear Friends,

In the issue of Food History News which I just received, there was an
interesting ad:
    Heirloom Pantry Products (1221 SE 11th St, Lee's Summit, MO 64081
    (816) 525-4826--evenings only
    Difficult to Find Ingredients - including pearl-ash, saleratus, baker's
ammonia, isinglass, and Irish Moss.

    This is pretty late-period stuff, but interesting.

    I also want to share (in the spirit of Year's End festivities) a
delicious, totally non-period dessert

        Chocolate Fondu   (gotten from the Swiss Pavilion Resturant at 1964
World's Fair in NYC)

        Ingredients

        3 bars Toblerone chocolate, 3 .5 oz each --nice to mix dark and milk
        1/2 C cream
        2 T kirsch, cognac, or cointreau

        angelfood cake, cut in chunks, or ladyfingers, or sponge cake
        orange or tangerine slices (peeled and divided, not cut)
        tart apples, sliced or chunked (cored)
        strawberries
        pineapple chunks -- fresh is better
        marshmallows
        small empty cream puff shells
        bread chunks
        (in season) fresh cherries, pitted

1) Break chocolate into separate triangular pieces.  (Toblerone comes
pre-divided)

2)Combine chocolate, cream, and liquor in heavy saucepan, chafing dish, or
fondu pot.

3) Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.  Keep
hot while people skewer and dunk fruit, cake, etc. (Long-handled forks!)

    Although a fondu pot is perfect for this, a small hot-tray, or just a
candle under a tripod, also work well.  I don't recommend doing it over the
stove, though, as people tend to drip a bit, and all those elbows get in the
way  :-}

Happy holdiays to all

Devra the Baker