SC - Holiday dreams OT OOP

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Dec 2 07:35:37 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 2 Dec 99,, that Terri Millette wrote:

> Ok, so , how do you make latkes?
> Fiona

Very easily.  Grate white potatoes (food processor makes this easy).
Squeeze out excess moisture (very important!).  Add a little grated
onion (common but optional), beaten egg, and enough matzo meal or
flour to give it the right consistency.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Drop the
batter into a panful of hot oil, and fry until done brown and crispy.  Serve
with the topping of your choice.

When I make latkes (and these days I don't do much frying), I follow a
recipe that calls for the following ingredients:

5-6 medium white potatoes
1 medium yellow onion (optional)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBS matzo meal (or plain cracker crumbs)
oil for frying

I don't bother to peel the potatoes -- just scrub them well beforehand.  I
use a food processor to grate the potatoes, and drain them of their liquid
in a strainer or colander (but squuezing them helps).  Mix ingredients
together, and drop by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil.  Fry over
medium-high heat, or an electric frying-pan set to 350F.  Eat
immediately, or keep wam in the oven.  Makes 12-16 latkes.

It should be noted that "latke" means pancake, and there are many
kinds of latkes.  Apple latkes.  Matzo meal latkes.  Sweet potato
latkes.  But at this time of year, if you use the words without a qualifier,
basic white potato latkes will be assumed.

Here are some recipe links:
http://www.eskimo.com/~jefffree/recipes/latkeper.htm
http://www.eskimo.com/~jefffree/recipes/latkes2.htm
http://www.jcn18.com/holiday/hanukkah/recipe.htm
http://www.zuzu.org/rec2.html

Now, there are other traditional fried foods for Chanukah.  In Israel, jelly
doughnuts are popular, and amongst the Sephardic Jews, I understand
there are fritters called buñuelos.  But my ancestors came from Poland
and the Ukraine, and for me, Chanukah is latkes.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net