SC - Holiday dreams OT OOP

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Dec 3 08:00:59 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 3 Dec 99,, that Terri Millette wrote:

> > Ok, so , how do you make latkes?
> > Fiona
>
>   and   "Robin Carroll-Mann sent
>
> some really cool links and the recipe, yipee!!!!!!!!

I have purchased potatoes for tonight.  I really shouldn't indulge, but it's
a holiday, damn the scale, full speed ahead.  Well, sorta.  I'm going to
pan-fry the latkes with a token amount of oil in a non-stick pan.  In a
little while, the brisket will go into the crock-pot, along with onions,
carrots, beef broth and some red wine.  Garlic and paprika are not bad
things either.  I never before had any luck with pot roast until I tried it in
the crock-pot.  And if you puree some of the cooked carrots and onions
with the liquid, you get a luscious, low-fat gravy that goes nicely with
latkes.

> Now, there are other traditional fried foods for Chanukah.  In Israel,
> jelly doughnuts are popular, and amongst the Sephardic Jews, I understand
> there are fritters called buñuelos.  But my ancestors came from Poland and
> the Ukraine, and for me, Chanukah is latkes.
>
> So, if I can be so nosey my Lady, you have all this avid interest in
> things Spanish, do you do any spiff Polish or Ukrainian cooking?

I have an interest in period Spanish cooking because I took Spanish for
many years in high school and college.  I have retained a competant
reading ability, although my spoken Spanish is downright embarassing.
I started looking at Spanish recipes, because I was intrigued by the
notion of being able to work with recipes that were largely unknown in
the SCA.  And Spanish is what I could work with.  I also know French,
but my Spanish is better, and the French cooking corpus has been well-
covered by cooking scholars in and out of the SCA.

As for Polish and Ukrainian recipes... well, only the Jewish versions
thereof.  There are no old family recipes, per se, though my
grandmother has given me instructions now and then on how to make
some of the East European Jewish standard dishes as her mother
made them.  Alas, my grandmother was never much a baker, which is
my primary area of interest.  The one cookbook she ever used was the
Grossinger cookbook, for the sake of some of the holiday cake recipes.
She has, however, said kind things about my challah and babka.

> Although your dream Spanish dictionary sounds cool, What's it called?

Lady Huette kindly mentioned a dealer who carries many esoteric
language materials:
http://www.schoenhofs.com/
(Lady Huette, did I ever thank you for posting that link?)  One of the
titles they carry is a 2-volume, 1600+ page dictionary of medieval
Spanish.  (ALONSO-PEDRAZ, M    Diccionario medieval español)

I haven't seen this beast, and at $169.95, it's the sort of thing I'd be
*real* nervous about buying sight unseen.  For all I know, it may be an
excellent work -- and thoroughly useless for the purpose of translating
16th century recipes, which is why I put it in the "wildest dreams"
category.

However, I have given my lord husband my wish list, as is our annual
custom, and I am definitely expecting some good bakeware and other
kitchen toys, the better to redact with.

> Fiona

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann