SC - Cranberry Sauces?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Fri Dec 3 12:35:51 PST 1999

At 01:22 AM 12/3/99 -0500,Philip & Susan Troy said something like:
>My basic sauce is extremely simple: equal parts by weight cranberries
>and sugar, with a tablespoon or so of water to help melt the sugar
>without burning anything, simmered over low heat until the berries are
>mostly burst, which will take maybe 15 minutes or so. It will taste a
>tad too sweet, but when it's cold the balance of sugar to acid and
>astringent will seem right on the money, for most people.
>
>I tend to spike mine with some sort of orange hooch (Grand Marnier,
>Curacao, Triple Sec, etc.)  and/or orange zest.
>
>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

Have any of you ever tasted Absolut flavored with currants? (Absolut
Kurant).  I bought it after someone in Sweden told me it tasted just
wonderful (I gagged at the first taste, and the second, and never tasted
currants either time).  Perhaps if I take that leftover cranberry sauce
from Thanksgiving and put the two together .. DEFINITELY with a slurp or
two of my kumquat preserves. Hey! Maybe I've got an idea going here!! (And
definitely plenty of sugar, beccause the cranberries and the kumquats were
both on the very tart side).  If it turns out decent, I'll let you all
know. And if it tastes skunky, we'll hide it at the back of the cupboard
til some war in the distant future, and let the less discerning palates
think they just received a great gift.

One of the other things I like to do with cranberries is make a quickbread
for snacks/breakfast/whatever. I use my home-made biscuit/pancake mix, add
a little sugar, eggs, moisten with ORANGE JUICE (not water/milk), add a
little zest and a generous cup or better of whole cranberries (chopped ones
turn the bread pink, i want ORANGE).  Bake til done.  There are masochists
who take and turn that into muffins, but I've given up on making those
after I found way too many half-eaten ones around my house. Now I just make
mini-loaves and people can slice as much or as little as they want.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.