SC - mustard recipes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 06:38:21 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/5/99 4:22:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

<< just how fine can an
 underpaid and underappreciated powderer scullery get them?

 --AM >>

Very fine. With use of bolting cloths in particular. Also remember that in
large household, manor houses and castles scullery persons would unlikely
have been powdering spices. This task was often accomplished by wandering
'spice grinders'. Another thing to think about would have been the purchase
of the ground seed at the apothecaries. Many tasks that we assume were done
in the kitchen were not done any more in the middle ages than they are now.

If this were indeed done in the kitchens of the wealthy, the use of very
large mortars and pestles would make the task simpler. Although not period
the one at Monticello's kitchen appeared to be made from a tree log and was
approximately 4 ft. tall. The mortars seen at the Folger's exhibit were of
the size we normally associate them with but the pestles fit inside like a
glove and looked to be far more efficient for grinding than the standard
apothecary forms used today by most SCAdians.

Just a thought or two. :-)

Ras