SC - mustard recipes

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Dec 5 09:24:48 PST 1999

hiya from Anne-Marie
Ras sez:
><< just how fine can an
> underpaid and underappreciated powderer scullery get them?
>
>Very fine. With use of bolting cloths in particular. Also remember that in
>large household, manor houses and castles scullery persons would unlikely
>have been powdering spices. This task was often accomplished by wandering
>'spice grinders'. Another thing to think about would have been the purchase
>of the ground seed at the apothecaries. Many tasks that we assume were done
>in the kitchen were not done any more in the middle ages than they are now.

I've never seen a reference to them being wandering, only that they were a
special job. cool!

I also have seen in le menagier an admonition that one should buy spices
whole, which suggests that it is possible to buy them ground, but that its
not a good idea (at least according to one middle aged Parisian :))

as for the scullery crack, I was referring to myself, of course!

Valoises comment about it being "mustard flour" does indeed imply a fine
powder as oppsed to cracked like peppercorns....

cant wait to try this!
- --AM