SC - latkes OOP

upsxdls at okstate.edu upsxdls at okstate.edu
Mon Dec 6 07:02:07 PST 1999

When I was visiting my parents at Christmas a couple of years ago, I was
roped into attending a 50+ luncheon.  (Church social group for folks over
50).  It felt strange to be the youngster.  Anyway, an elderly lady of
German descent gave me her secret for making wonderful latkes.  She said
instead of squeezing all the water out of the potatoes, rinse the shreds in
cold water until the water is clear.  Then, shred one more potato and add
it to the rinsed shreds.  I must say, the latkes don't seem to be as
"starchy," but still hold together in the skillet.  I like mine with sour
cream, applesauce and sausage links.

Question for cooks from Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra:  Can you tell me where I
can buy candied flower petals?  I've never found them in Mooneshadowe.  I
have an idea for a subtlety (or however you spell) it for the Revel next
weekend.

Leanna of Sparrowhaven (aka "the Available")