SC - Re: SC - Buñuelos_(recipe)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 04:22:57 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/7/1999 6:58:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> Good point. But bimbo didn't mean, in English, what it currently does
>  until perhaps 25 years ago.

According to the dictionary, it meant a thick headed person as early as 1919,
but I haven't accessed the OED yet. Maybe they weren't referring to a blonde
female thick headed person then, but...

>What it might mean in Spanish I wouldn't want to bet on.

I'd bet on it meaning something like baby ... although it's more common to
see it as bebe. The Bimbo baked goods I remember seeing had a little bear
printed on the wrapper.

> But the image of the baker getting long blonde hair caught in the car door
is an
> arresting one...

That might explain the long blonde hair in my bagel.... ;-)

Corwyn