SC - lebkuchen

Valoise varmstro at zipcon.net
Thu Dec 9 06:17:02 PST 1999

margali wrote:
> think of it [at least the commercial versian that I get at the PX] as
> gingerbread/fruitcakey cookies made on a base of oblaten and occasionally glazed
> with sugar or chocolate. I just dissected [ok, ok, I ate it..] one and found
> some sort of candied fruit bits, and some definitely nut bits, and it is in a
> cakelike cookie of a spicy-like-gingerbread soft cookie on a papery oblaten.

This is a great description of modern Lebkuchen. But the period
version is quite a bit different. It contains no candied fruit or
nuts. The dough of flour, honey, spices and sometimes sugar was
pressed into molds and turned out to bake until crisp. The best
version of the molds that I've seen for sale in to US are at The House
on the Hill
<http://www.houseonthehill.net>

Many people probably purchased the Lebkuchen already made since
Lebkuchners had their own guilds.

Valoise