SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Bernadette Crumb kerelsen at ptd.net
Thu Dec 9 17:15:28 PST 1999

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> .
> First, the riddle--
>
> When I recently took a course on food and the history of cookbooks from
> Andrew Smtih (History of Ketchup, etc) he said that prehistoric man had
> located or domesticated all but two of the food items currently used.  One
> item he cited as added to the food group in historic times was coffee.  Our
> dates on that vary, but most seem to be after the start of the Common Era.
> However, he never told us the second food item that had entered man's
> knowledge after prehistoric times.  has anyone got any ideas?  [One of the
> students suggested twinkies, but we pointed out that all of the things in
> twinkies--except perhaps the preservatives, but those aren't food,
> really--were known.]
>
> Second question--one of my friends would like to locate a source of powdered
> malt, like the malt that the man at the corner candystore used to put into
> the milkshake to make it into a malted.  I haven't found any sources--King
> Arthur Flour sells diastolic malt, but that's not the same.  Do you think
> malt syrup would work?
>
> Thanks for your help with this
>
> Devra the Baker -- mka Devra Langsam
> Poison Pen Press
> www.poisonpenpress.com

My lady, if you are willing to take a day or so and have the
space to do it, you can make your own powdered malt by sprouting
wheat berries until the sprouts are about the same length as the
berrie itself, spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 250 F
oven until golden brown and crisp (about ten minutes IIRC).  Let
cool completely and pulverize in a food processor or grind in a
mortar and pestle.  Viola!  Malt powder...

(Process courtesy of a church group's lesson on what to do with
fifty pounds of wheat berries...)

Bernadette Crumb