SC - malt

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 23:38:43 PST 1999

> I first saved this info in my modern recipes section, but then I began
> to wonder, Was malt known in period? Perhaps under a different name
> such as sprouted, browned wheat? :-)

Malt was known as ...  malt.  or perhaps mault, or malte, or some german word I
don't remember.  ;>  Where you have beer/ale brewing, you have malt.  In fact, I
don't know if you can make beer without malt.  I don't think so.  You can make
barley stuff, but it isn't beer/ale.  (Beer has hops, ale does not, for a more
or less period definition.)  In period, people who knew how to malt were paid
more than those who did not.  I haven't personally seen any of the info on the
early Egyptian brewers, but hearsay says that there were malting
instructions/pictures.

- -Magdalena