SC - quenelles?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 13 03:31:14 PST 1999

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> anyone who can think of an example in a medieval cookbook of minced meat
> mixed with dough to make fritters and boiled in water? I know its too much
> to ask for the sauce mournay...:)

Eeeeeeeee-eeewwwww, fish and cheese. Even my son knows this is taboo
from his grim early school cafeteria days ;  ) .

The closest I can think of would be the 14th-century English saumon
gentil, which I have _somewhere_ on disk (and it's from Curye On
Inglysch) but cannot currently access. It calls for saumon to be pounded
in a mortar and, I think, pushed through a sieve, then extruded through
a horn with a wooden plunger (yes, like a pastry bag or one of those
cookie shooters) into boiling water, poached and served with a dusting
of ground cumin.

True, there's no pate a choux element, but as often as not quenelle
don't have that either. Many do have added egg white, though, but
anybody who's ever poached a salmon and seen that nasty white stuff that
adheres to it knows how much albumen is already in salmon. This dish
makes a fairly decent retro-quenelle.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy