SC - SC-Fw: [TY] recipie question

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 19:47:16 PST 1999

On 13 Dec 1999 15:33:05 -0600
 Jenn/Yana writes:
>I am looking for a recipe, modern or period, that involves fermenting
>fruit.  The recipe I used to have had something to do with various types
>of canned fruit, that was added with sugar over several days.   When the
>fruit was used, more was to be dumped into the container.  If this sounds
>familiar, please send me your recipe.

What you are describing is called "Civil War Nectar" among other names.
It is a very strong fermented fruit topping for ice cream or cake,
Basically,
you add one 16 oz can of fruit in syrup: white grapes,mandarin oranges,
fruit cocktail, sliced pears, peaches, red marasino cherries, etc.  Never
add
pinapple or mushy berry types like you find in some Oregon brand types.
Add one can per week with one cup of sugar.  Stir in lightly and keep
covered, but not in an airtight container, in a dark moderately warm place
(under sink cabinet is ideal).  The only problem with making this fermented
(almost brandied) fruit  recipe is that you have to get a couple of cups
of it while it is active as a starter from someoneelse.  Regular winemaking
yeasts give it a nasty scummy crud.  The specific yeast strain that produces
clean brandy tasting fermentation is only gotten from a friend making it.
At least this is what I was told.  I haven't made any of it for over 30
years now, so I have no clue who might give you a starter.

Anyone on the SC know where a starter may be obtained?  I wouldn't
mind trying it out again after 30 years without tasting it.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"