SC - redacting

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Dec 14 22:28:34 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Yes, it's a method for separating the skin from the meat for Peking Duck
> (for which nowadays a bicycle pump is a common tool), but also common in
> medieval roast chicken recipes. I believe the confusion lies in the fact
> that the unknown author was probably referring to some kind of reed pen,
> and they couldn't get away from the idea of a big feather/quill pen.

Actually, that's what I assumed when reading it too- all I could picture
was 'Ba' in "Eat Drink Man Woman" (a delightful little movie with TRES
COOL cooking scenes) blowing up a chicken during his Sunday dinner prep,
then spooning hot fat from the pot over the loosened skin... that movie
always makes me so hungry...

'Lainie