SC - redacting

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Dec 14 23:54:42 PST 1999

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > Actually, that's what I assumed when reading it too- all I could picture
> > was 'Ba' in "Eat Drink Man Woman" (a delightful little movie with TRES
> > COOL cooking scenes) blowing up a chicken during his Sunday dinner prep,
> > then spooning hot fat from the pot over the loosened skin... that movie
> > always makes me so hungry...
> It also contains a shot of the Other Great Medieval Poultry preparation
> technique, the scalding to tighten the skin again and "plump" the bird.
> And unlike so many movies which feature people cooking, it's obvious
> that this actor knows intuitively what he's doing. His hands know, and
> this is impossible to portray on screen without actually knowing what
> you're doing. Think of all those scenes in American movies of people
> holding chef's knives like basebal bats and slowly chunking away at a
> carrot or something. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk.

Seumas thinks they used stunt hands- cuts of a pro with the actor doing
the simpler tasks. I dunno- looked pretty realistic to me... whoever did
it, there was an indescribable beauty to the fluid motions, especially
with the garnishes and the care of simple things like the tucks on a
dumpling wrapper...

Need to rent it again...

'Lainie