SC - Genetic engineering in food items OOP

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 16 00:21:56 PST 1999

Subject: Re: SC - egg sizes

designers have some funny ideas. >>

ON Wed, 15 Dec 1999 00:09:47 EST
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

>Or innovative. I was very disappointed that the tomato which had a cod fish
>gene making it tolerant to frost was withdrawn from the market before it's
>seeds were available for general distribution. It not only had a fine
flavor
>but was also resistant (even impervious) to many common tomato diseases.
Then
>again, ignorant people have  stopped progress many times in the past so i
>shouldn't be surprised that the few loud people still make an impact out of
>proportion to their numbers. :-(

If I had intended anything other than humour about chickens laying
square eggs by my comment, I would have used the term "genetic
engineers" rather than "gene designers".  I am very much in favour
of the broadspread applications of genetic sciences as well as being
strongly "pro-nuclear" as well.   I well understand the principles and
specifics of the procedures involved and am quite able to distinquish
hard scientific fact from popular "National Enquirer" falsehoods to
engender misunderstanding.   The dangers of engineered genes
"escaping" to infect other species is bolderdash.  If you include me  in the
catagory of  "ignorant" and "loud people", you have gone beyond painting
with
a loud brush - you are spraying with a fire hose.  I pray my lord, that I
have
misunderstood your remarks as well as you have mine.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"