SC - potatoes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Dec 16 08:41:25 PST 1999

Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> I ran into some difficulties this morning when my granddaughter rang to tell
> me that Pot-licker had put a raw potato in her shoe because she was a bad
> girl yesterday (Icelandic christmas custom, explanation to follow). We
> discussed what could be done with the potato and then I began telling her
> that when my great-grandparents were children they did not know potatoes
> because they were not commonly grown in that region until the 1890s or so.
> And she said "No potatoes? What did they get in their shoe when they were
> bad?" I had to say I had no idea ...

As someone who regularly puts coal in the SO's stocking (he must have
been _bad_ or why would he have me?) I could only laugh at the potato in
the shoe. But I'll tell ya- my favorite bit along those lines was from a
Prairie Home Companion Christmas episode several years back- they did a
sketch in which they interviewed 'Henry Kissinger' (the voice guy in
fine form) who explained that in his family there was the Christmas
Potato, which was hidden somewhere in the house, and whoever found it
had good luck for the rest of the year. TO whic Garrison said "But
that's only one week!" and 'Mr. Kissinger' replied "Exactly..."

And then of course there are the plethora of Dan Quayle jokes, but we
all know them...

'Lainie