SC - Re: Egg Sizes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Dec 16 19:25:31 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/16/99 2:34:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< Water was  not that common,>>

Where did you get this idea from?

<< especially ponds and watercourses, >>

?. Fish ponds were very much common with monasteries, manor houses and
castles having them.

<<for many, particularly the  lower classes. >>

Since the extant cookeries manuals that we have deal specifically with the
upper classes and nobility, I fail to see what this has got to do with
anything.

<<And particularly for those in towns. Whereas a couple of chickens could
easily be raised in a small town yard. >>

We successfully raised both ducks and geese without benefit of a pond nearby.
Since the vast majority of the population lived in a rural setting this
hardly is a factor. Literally thousands of animals and their byproducts were
sold in the market places in the towns daily. There would not have been a
lack of any of the products we are discussing in towns because of an
inability of townsmen to raise them themselves except in times of famine and
crop failure or animal disease.

We little concern ourselves with the feeding and clothing if the poor in the
CMA but in medieval society this was an obligation. Certainly people in
general were poorer but prices were lower also. There were no massive gangs
of poor people groveling in the streets as you seem to suggest. Such a view
of the middle ages is a result of Victorian and Hollywood influence and has
no basis in fact.

Ras