SC - Cinnamon varieties (long)

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Fri Dec 17 23:25:38 PST 1999

Ras,

>I have no problem with academic research. My problem is that access to the
>books and other items needed for such research are unfairly restricted to
>those who have paid for a piece of paper to hang on their walls and denied to
>serious researchers that have seen no need to buy such a paper.

I find your statement curious. I have been researching medieval Islamic textiles
for over ten years. In that time, I've viewed a selection of archived textiles
at the Textile Museum in Washington DC and the Seattle Art Museum. I've also
made use of the Freer Gallery Library in Washington on several occasions. I've
had tremendous luck with ILL through various libraries. And all of this after I
left the institution of education ten years ago. I've just been your everyday,
average working adult. All I've done is request (often many months in advance)
to view some textiles or explain what I wanted to know and that I was seriously
interested in the subject. Having a specific goal in mind when requesting access
to information doesn't hurt either.

Yes, I do have that piece of paper but it's for an Urban Planning degree.
Islamic textiles are my passion but I have absolutely no interest in pursuing a
degree for that. Historic cooking is rapidly moving up the passion scale as well
and I don't want a degree for that either. Perhaps the fields I have researched
have not been so restricted as the ones you have; I can't say. In my experience,
however, sincerity and a genuine interest in the subject (plus preplanning and
lots of politeness) has gained me access when I had no academic credentials in
that area.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL