SC - period poultry feed

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 14:27:09 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/18/99 2:50:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< One of the reasons that the horse took a while to begin
 to be used in agriculture, even after an appropriate collar was invented
 was that it required a better food supply than the ox. >>

It appears as if you are taking the basis for your argument back several
thousands of years. Although such arguments may very well be valid in 2000
BCE they most certainly would not be valid in the 14th century CE given the
advanced state of agriculture at that time. I still do not see any evidence
that a pound of wheat in the middle ages would have been considered more
desirable than a dozen eggs or a pound of chicken on the dinner table. So far
your theories just don't apply to an advanced agricultural society. The
Folger's Library has many manuals specifically written for the farmer and if
I ever gain access to these manuals, I am certain that they would show what
is self evident...that medieval and early modern agricultural methods were
extremely advanced and the primitive ideas oftentimes ascribed to period
agriculture is in error.

Ras