SC - malt

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 18 15:01:22 PST 1999

>I suppose it's possible to brew with fresh, green/sweet corn; it
>probably has some fermentable sugars in it. Or is this like the South
>American stuff whose name escapes me, which is done by introducing
>amylase to the maize (by chewing it and spitting it out...yum)?
>
>Adamantius

It was made by the Inkas/Incas.  The drink is called "chicha" and yes, it
is made by chewing maize and spitting it into a container and letting it
ferment via saliva.  Interestingly, the Inkas had no fired pottery until
the existence of chicha apparently prompted the desire for stoneware
vessels (2000-800 BCE).  Incredibly interesting food fact, IMO.  A student
in last summer's "Ancient Technologies" class did his final paper on chicha
and actually made some and passed it around.  According to my teacher it
was pretty good.  If I take the class this summer, I am going to try to do
some sort of food-based project.

- --Yana