SC - "Old Food"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 18 21:44:06 PST 1999

Christianna commented:
> Then there's the compost we made last November...

I, for one, would be interested in hearing how well the compost
has held up or tastes when you get around to trying it. The reports
that I have in the Florilegium on composts have been from folks who
ate it much sooner than this. After being reminded about compost in
a recent message, and other reminders that fresh vegetables would not
be available in period during Candlemas, I am considering trying one
for the Royalty lunch I am doing in February. While I can easily see
someone slaughtering an animal in February for the King's dinner, you
can't serve fresh vegetables, at whatever the price, if they just
aren't available.

As for other examples of old food, I think there are some stories
in my Jalabs-msg file of Sekanjabin syrups being kept for extremely
long time periods (years?) before being used.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net