SC - period poultry feed

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 00:47:56 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/19/99 2:34:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< I see this as supporting my contention that period chickens were not
 grain-fed animals not refuting it. >>

And I never said that chickens were grain-fed animals. I said that grain was
fed to chickens as a supplemental part of their diet. The key word is
SUPPLEMENTAL, that is given to them as a dietary addition. Such usage is
minimal in the case of free range animals.

Regarding the use of hay for cattle. Such a diet would quickly sicken an
animal if there were no supplemental grains fed. Certainly we are in
agreement that the majority of the food fed to cattle in winter months is
dried vegetation. Our disagreement is in the supplemental feeding of
relatively small portions of grain.

We are in agreement  about pigs. ;-) The supplemental foods here are  sour
milk, whey and kitchen scraps and, according to court records, the occasional
snatched medieval child. :-) The use of grain for hog feeding  is highly
unlikely.

Ras