SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

k&t Radford ktradford at cyberport.com
Sun Dec 19 20:55:08 PST 1999

I am a baby here myself when it comes to SCA knowledge & cooking period
knowledge. But I recently attended a midwinter feast in which I spent most
of the time working in the kitchen. What little bit of information I
gathered was that root veggies were mainly harvested & served at this time.
For veggies we had plain boiled carrots and then another dish of onions
sauted in white wine with bread crumbs over the top. We didn't have any
yams or potatoes. It was a early Celtic type theme.
Although IMHO, I always love to have some sort of potatoes -- although not
sure how period it is. But roasted spiced potatoes sounds good with pork.
Also instead plain carrots I would have preferred something with some
spices.
Krysta

- ----------
> From: Lilinah biti-Anat <lilinah at grin.net>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables
> Date: Thursday, December 16, 1999 12:13 AM
>
> I'm just an SCA baby - <snip> The feast is The Boar Hunt, <snip> And it
isn't set in any particular time period,
> just Medieval Europe, so no pressing time or culture constraints.
>
> <snip> thought i'd ask experienced feast planners what late fall/early
> winter vegetables you've served and people have actually eaten :-)
> I'm not exactly asking for recipes (although if you want to share
> any, they will be appreciated), but rather, pointers to what SCA
> folks seem to actually *like to eat*.

<snip> i certainly will plunge into the Florilegium, and