SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Tue Dec 21 20:15:51 PST 1999

Henry wrote:

>I haven't tried armoring them, though. What's a good cheese to use on parsnips?

Hm. I don't know how authentic Gruyere is, but I like to use it with a variety
of different things. I did armored turnips with Gruyere and also Tart for Ember
Day. Both came out quite yummy.

I have used Raclette and Tomme de Savoie and they would do really well for any
recipe calling for "ripe" or "old" cheese. Both are rather on the bitey side
without being overpowering. They also melt well when heated.

For milder cheeses I've used Baita Friuli and Parmesan, besides Gruyere. I can't
get fresh curds or cheeses here in Anchorage (it's making me seriously consider
learning to make it myself) except Mozzarella which is fine except that the
consistancy is too firm.

Since we're on the topic of cheese, does anyone know where a cream cheese
without stabilizers can be acquired?

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL