SC - hone substitute (OOP)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Dec 22 15:11:57 PST 1999

Yesterday while I was at the grocery store (HEB), I saw and bought a
honey substitute. Perhaps this is common knowledge but I didn't know
such things existed. While such an item is of little use to most of you,
those that are diabetic or for other reasons must restrict their sugar
intake, may find it useful.

The brand is SugarTree and the name is "Sugar Free Honey substitute.
It is in a small, 15oz container. In the nutrition section it says:
Sugars 0g but it also says Sugar Alcohol 17g. I have no idea why
that is there and what it may mean. It does say "Food Exchange Value:
Carbohydrates 0. It lists as ingredients: maltitol, sorbitol,
mannitol, salt (*adds an insignificant amount of sodium), citric acid,
water, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color.

While I wouldn't try to use it to make mead, it may prove useful in
other period recipes that ask for honey. I have not tasted it yet.
It's texture looks to be that of a medium thick honey.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net