SC - cream

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 26 20:34:44 PST 1999

< Oh, I acquired a full half gallon of fresh, heavy cream from a
 >> local farmer... any suggestions on what I should do with it? >>

If it was from a farmer then the odds are it hasn't went through the
pasteurization process which kills the good bacteria naturally present in
milk. Take a quart of it, cover with a piece of cheese cloth and set it on
your counter overnight. The next day shake it until the buttermilk and the
butter separate. Reserving the whey, drain, Sprinkle the butter chunks with a
little salt and using a wooden paddle and wooden bowl press out any whey
remaining in the butter while forming the mass into a solid ball. Viola!
Butter which will taste like real butter unlike the relatively tasteless
'sweet cream' garbage that most of us are forced to use today. (Except those
on the list who live in West Virginia. A state that sells commercial butter
that tastes almost identical to well made home created butter.)

As an added treat, refrigerate the drained liquid (buttermilk) until ice
cold. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and drink up for a refreshing and tasty
treat.

Ras