SC - redacting

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 18:47:37 PST 1999

>Not all libraries will allow you in their library or
>even offer to xerox books for you.  It depends a lot
>upon what kind of library they are.  Most university
>libraries will give people limited access to their
>libraries, because they are geared for undergraduate
>research.

as an NC citizen (not to mention UNC employee and ex-matriculate) I have
access to everything in any NC Universtiy library, and because of
reciprocation agreements, also to Duke and several good, but tiny, colleges
in NC.  But even so, I'm not going to get into the "UNC special collections"
without a fight and certainly not into the Duke special collection.  That
problem can be someone gotten around at UNC if I'm willing to pay, and wait,
for copies of whatever without having seen the whatever first to see if it's
really worth the cost. It can be gotten around at Duke, somewhat, by
involving my husband, a Duke alumni, and until exams just finished, an
employee with full library access.

Unofortunately, neither has anything useful in the manuscript and rare books
"special" collections.

>I know that although I am a librarian, there are
>libraries I cannot access, even as a professional
>courtesy.  One being the Huntington Library in San
>Marino California.

The Folger Shakespeare Library tour described similar restrictions on just
who could use their library, the short summary would be "professional
academics, or those in training to be".

Bonne