SC - OT--Receipe for Crab Rangoon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 29 09:57:09 PST 1999

CONNECT at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/28/1999 9:44:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> alm4 at cornell.edu writes:
>
> << One book is chinese and asian cooking >>
>
> I've been looking for a good receipe for Crab Rangoon to reproduce at home,
> but haven't found any to be satisfactory yet. I love the stuff at the local
> chinese buffet, I'm sorry to say, as it's gotta be heart-attack-on-a-plate.
> Does anyone have a receipe to die for that you're willing to share? ;)

Hmmm. I don't have a recipe on hand, but I recall someone on the list
asking for one, and finding it on the Web. As I recall it was mainly a
fried wonton filled with a mixture of cream cheese, crabmeat (real, not
that awful rubbery stuff) and chopped scallions, with minor seasoning
adjustments such as white pepper and a dash of Worcestershire. What
would you say constitutes an unsatisfactory version, just so I know what
you're looking to avoid? By the way, nobody from Burma/Myanmar that I've
spoken to has ever heard of this... ; )

I don't think this is an especially common dish in the Chinese
restaurants around here, but one or two local places have begun selling
them, and then a nearby place has begun selling a sinister-sounding dish
called cheese wontons, which may be a crabless relative. I wonder if
it's a West-Coast Chinatown thing.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy