SC - Christmas Dinner and Gifts/Fig Brandy

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Dec 31 02:59:05 PST 1999

> Check out "Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book; Elizabethan Country
> House Cooking" Hilary Spurling, ISBN 0-670-81592-6, page 170 with
regard
> to Ratafia the making there of.
>
> Daniel Raoul le Vascon de Navarre' called many things by many people
> but by the English, Leadenpenny.

	Ratafia!  Ugh, what a wonderful example of a medicinal that never should
have been used as a beverage!  A lady made some for my late husband (it
outlasted him, but was not the cause...) and it would cure what ails you,
if just to not have to drink any more of it.  I'm glad to know there is a
relatively period recipe for it, but I was under the impression it was a
Spanish brew, probably because the lady who made it for us was Cuban.
Christianna