SC - Spices/history article

kylie walker kyliewalker at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:13:37 PST 1999

Came across an article I thought might interest some of you, about a
research project into the variations in traditional spice use.

The research team looked at differences in spice usage in the traditional
recipes of different countries and then the relationship between spice use
and average annual temperature in those countries. They also did literature
searches on the antibacterial properties of 30 spices found in the recipes,
finding a positive correlation between the use of "bacterial assassins" and
warmer climates.

The lead author of the study - Paul Sherman, a professor of behavioral
ecology at Cornell - theorises that the correlations may have originated in
the days of cavemen.

This is just a summary of what the article said - for copyright reasons, I
can't post the actual text, but if anyone is interested, it should have
appeared in the Washington Post and/or the LA Times. The original research
article was published in "a recent Bioscience journal", so that might have
more detailed information the Post article, which was fairly general.

Kylie