SC - Period green beans

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 19:09:08 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/2/99 1:04:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

<< Could the asparagus pea or winged lotus (Tetragonorobus purpureus) have
been
 what was described as 'green beans?  You eat them pod and all and they do
 look
 more like beans than peapods.  It is listed in Gerard as the four square
 velvet pea.

 Akim >>

Absolutely. I only references yard long beans because I grew them a couple of
years in a row and they look so much like the 13th century illumination that
is down right eerie :-) The period recipes for 'green beans' and 'kidney'
beans also work extremely well with this variety in my experience. Is a there
are source for a picture of the beans that you mention? I looked in my seed
catalogs and can't find them . :-(

Ras