SC - mustard recipes

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Dec 3 00:54:39 PST 1999

>hi all from Anne-Marie
>
>does anyone have a favorite homemade mustard recipe they'd care to share?
>I'm especially interested in period ones, ie one like le Menagier, or
>Epilarios, and ones that dont contain eggs.

Here is one from the Harpestreng-manuscript, Icelandic version, late 15th
century:

"Item sem salsa mustar
Taka skal mustard ok lata til þridiung af hunangi. ok tíunda hlut af afsi.
enn tvo slik af kanele. mala þetta. alltt saman med stercktt edik. lata
sidan j legil. þat dugir um þria manadi."

Another mustard sauce
Take mustard and add a third as much of honey, and a tenth of aniseed, and
twice as much cinnamon (as aniseed). Grind this all together with a strong
vinegar, then put in a cask. It will keep for three months.

The other versions of this recipe I have are very similar.

This is a hot mustard, very good for lamb or well-flavored ham. I do use a
bit less aniseed, though.

Nanna