SC - OT - Antipodean Holidays

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Thu Dec 2 18:16:30 PST 1999

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/1/99 4:01:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> kyliewalker at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << Basically they challenge all comers to a bakeoff and
>  bakers professional and amateur enter their version of the vanilla slice  >>
>
> OK, so now we know what Vanilla Slice Day is, but...what's a vanilla slice????
>
> Brangwayna

OK, now I don't currently have a recipe to hand but a vanilla slice is basically a
sort of sticky custardy confection (at least that is what it is sold as in
Tasmania)

It has a thinnish pastry base, a layer of custard, a layer of pastry & is topped
with a layer of white sticky oozing icing.  I'm not exactly sure where the vanilla
is supposed to come in:  the custard or the icing!  Basically, when you bite into
it, the custard tends to squeeze out the other side (speaks from experience) and
fall down the front of your shirt.

Lorix